Sunday 14 February 2010

A completely non-Valentine's or Chinese New Year related post

So today is February 14th and everywhere you look on the TV, in shop windows and even food blogs things are covered in pink bunting, flowers and hearts. Am I the only one that's getting a little bit sick of all the furror that surrounds Valentine's day? And what about Chinese New Year? Coincidentally the year of the tiger also starts this year on February 14th, yet in all the hubbub surrounded the day people are supposed to overspend on chocolates, flowers and meals to spoil the one they love no one's remembered the Chinese New Year. So this entry, I promise, will not have a heart in sight. It also won't have anything Chinese in it either, but that's more down to my own lac of preparation. Here's to Feb 14th, just another day

**Disclaimer, I reserve the right to make a Valentine's related post later in the day ;)**






Pasta e Fagioli (Pasta and Beans)

It's neither romantic nor Chinese but it's certainly very tasty! I found this recipe over at The Crepes of Wrath which I have to say is my favourite foodblog out there at the moment! I've made a number of Sydney's recipes and they always turn out great! They're normally pretty simple to make and always really tasty, which for a rather amateur cook like myself is a blessing. I made a few changes to the recipe, using chicken breast rather than mince, chickpeas and frozen spinach because I couldn't find fresh anywhere! Anyway, as you can probably see my pasta turned out rather less proffessional looking than hers but regardless it still tasted delicious! I think cooking the pasta in with the sauce and the addition of stock rather than water really adds to the dish. Anyway, here it is:

Ingredients
2 tsps olive oil
4 chicken breasts
1/2 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
800g whole tinned tomatoes
1l chicken stock
1/2 tsp driedoregano
1tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried chili flakes
salt and pepper to taste
5oz spinach (preferably fresh)
2 tsp fresh parsley, chopped.

Method
1- Heat oil in a pan and sautee onions for 3-4 minutes, until softened.

2- Add the chicken, cook fully and add the garlic. Stir constantly for 60 seconds then add the stock.

3- Pour the tamotoes and their juices into the pan, break up a little with a wooden spoon then add the drained beans, seasoning and bring to a slow boil.

4- Add the pasta and cook, once al dente add the spinach and parsley and stir until wilted. Serve with a generous handful of freshly grated parmesan and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment