Monday 22 March 2010

An unexpected haitus that really took the biscuit

Hello sports  food fans, apologies for my unexpected disappearance from the blogverse. I have no excuse other than being generally quite rubbish at keeping journals. It has been nearly a month since my last blog, and I'd love to come back saying I had been on all kinds of fun-filled crazy adventures which kept me from writing here but if I said that I would be lying. So rather than bore people to death with a drivvly excuse as to why I disappeared, something which will no doubt be made up completely on the spot and not exhonorate my crapness in any way, I'll cut this one short and get straight down posting this recipe for home made Jammy Dodgers.




Who remembers Jammy Dodgers? I say remember, they're still out there, in fact I had some last week but these were definitely a biscuit of my childhood and one of my favourites. This recipe came from Kitsch in the Kitchen and I made them as a housewarming gift for the said same friend who's party I made the apple crumble for (I told you it was a long time overdue!). She does love a sweet treat and I am assured that she thoroughly enjoyed these. These aren't exactly like Jammy Dodgers, for a start I didn't have a mini heart shaped cutter to cut out the centre but also as they use real jam rather than the jelly-like fillling of the original biscuit. Also you may be able to see that my biscuits are slightly darker brown than they should be, thats not because I burnt them but because I ran out of white sugar (shock, horror!) so used dark muscovado instead. Onto the recipe!

Jammy Dodgers

Ingredients

320g flour*
150g sugar + 2 tbsp extra
1/4 tsp salt
225g butter
1 egg (the original recipe called for 2 eggs yolks but i can never be bothered to separate eggs. It worked just as well usign one whole gg, just a little less rich.)
2 tbsp vanilla extract
jam of your choice (I used strawberry because thats what the originals use but I'm sure you could use any flavour you want)

Method

  1.  Place the flour, 150g sugar, and salt in a bowl and mix together. Add the butter and mix until it forms small clumps
  2. In a separate bowl whisk together the egg and vanilla and add to the butter mixture until a dough is formed. Bring together on a work surface, divide in half and roll out to a 1cm thick disk. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  3. Line a baking sheet and cut out desired shapes, spacing about 4cm apart on the tray. Cut a hole in the centre of half the biscuits and remove. Chill while the oven preheats.
  4. Preheat oven to 190C. Sprinkle the top of the biscuits with the reserved 2tbsp sugar just before they go in the oven. Bake 1 sheet at a time for 10-15minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
  5. Once cooled spread the solid biscuit with jam. Dust the cut out biscuits with icing sugar or ice if desired. Sandwich the cut out biscuit on top of the Jam covered biscuit and enjoy!
*My dough was a little too soft so I ended up adding about 2oz more flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment